Serves 6 as entree.
1 bunch of kale, rinsed, stems removed and chopped
5 medium potatoes, rinsed and cubed
1/2 cup half and half or cream (optional)
5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 smallish-medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 leek, rinsed, tough green parts removed, halved lengthwise and sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
1-2 teaspoons fresh thyme
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 pound italian sausage (optional)
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium sized soup pot and add onions and leeks (set aside 1/4 cup). Cook until tender and slightly translucent.
2. Add garlic for a couple of minutes, then spices, and broth. Bring to a boil and then add potatoes. Simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Add kale and simmer for another 10 minutes.
4. In a saute pan cook the italian sausage along with the remaining 1/4 cup of leeks until golden. Drain on paper towel and cover with foil to keep warm.
5. Add half and half or cream and then puree contents with an immersion blender until desired consistency
6. Ladle soup into soup bowls and garnish with the italian sausage and parmesan garlic toasts.
Baguette or artisan bread, sliced into 12 1/2 inch slices
1 head of garlic
parmesan cheese, grated
chili pepper flakes
1. Cut off top of garlic head and drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil and roast in the oven for about 30 minutes at 400°F.
2. Brush toasts with olive oil.
3. Remove garlic from foil and allow to cool. Once cooled enough to handle press the cloves out of the garlic and smash them into the bread toasts until evenly covered, about one clove per toast.
4. Add cheese, and sprinkle chili pepper flakes and dried basil.
5. Broil toasts a few minutes until edges are golden brown and cheese has melted.